About Me

Coming Soon: http://underthebedgallery.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Versus

Every morning while I am still in bed coaching myself to wiggle my toes and stretch my fingers, Aaron is in the living room subjecting himself to the morning news and weather. (Frankly, I don't think Twitter feeds or Facebook posts are news, but I won't get into that.) The particular station that Aaron watches has a weatherman that could easily be a vampire (old school, not the modern Twilight kind) or a double for Count Dracula given the right cape. The particular station that my alarm is set to features a younger meteorologist with a weather photo gallery with a title that rhymes.

Aaron's main meteorologist tends to report the temperatures for the day as higher/hotter or lower/cooler than NORMAL. 
Normal: conforming to the standard or the common type.

My man on the radio (who is also on TV) reports the temperature fluctuations as deviations from the AVERAGE.
Average: a quantity, rating, or the like that represents or approximates an arithmetic mean.

Aaron corrects Count Dracula every time. Loudly. I don't know why he doesn't just change the channel. But I am glad he doesn't because it serves as my auxillary alarm so I know when it is really time to get up.



While filling out a form for a doctor's appointment the other day Aaron had to fill in the "Race/Ethnicity" blank. We have all had to do this. Technicially though, aren't we all the same race - human? So, ok, that one is a gimme since we aren't filling out a form for the veterinarian. Ethnicity - White. Done. Wait! If you are white are you white hispanic or white non-hispanic? Or if you prefer I can say Caucasion. I heard a comedian ask where Caucasia was becuase he wanted to visit the motherland. Makes sense to me.
This is where I am stumped. If you are from Puerto Rico, you're Puerto Rican. If you are from Africa, you are African. If you are from Europe, you are European. You see where I am going? According to a form I'm white. But where am I from? Wherever it is, it doesn't get much sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment